Re: Note from Gene Garfield On: English Language, Scientific Journals, and Thompson-Reuters ISI Coverage

From: (wrong string) élčne.Bosc <hbosc-tchersky_at_orange.fr>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 09:05:32 +0100

Gene Garfield wrote :
"Now in the era of electronic publication I would encourage those who
are able to publish bilingually to do so since there is usually
enough space on the web for such bilingual postings"

I totally agree with this suggestion. Here is my recent story:
Two months ago, I archived in a French archive, an article ( 25
pages) published in French in a French periodical. Looking recently
at the number of downloads, I was very satisfied of its impact
refering to the number of supposed readers. But at the same time, I
was very surprised to see that a conference paper written in English
(that was in fact, something like an English summary of 5 pages of my
French article ) archived in the same archive only 3 weeks ago,
had already a very important number of dowloads and will probably
over pass the French article.
Writing again in English a long article is difficult and takes too
much time for the majority of authors in the world (specially
in Human and Social Sciences) but a long abstract of several pages in
English is feasable and would bring to the author the benefit of
reaching more readers .
Hélčne Bosc