Re: Repositories: Institutional or Central?

From: Peter Millington <Peter.Millington_at_NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:46:49 -0000

Following the LOCKSS principle, I personally support both
institutional and central repositories. Depositing in both may also
help to disseminate research more widely.

Being Devil's advocate however, I can understand why research funding
agencies would want to stipulate specific central repositories in
their OA mandates. If you are serious about policing compliance, it
is much simpler for a research funder to monitor a central repository
than a myriad of institutional repositories.

Of course for institutional mandates it is the other way round.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Peter Millington

SHERPA Technical Development Officer
Greenfield Medical Library, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />University of
Nottingham, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, England

http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/juliet/ - Research funders' open access
policies

http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/ - Publishers' copyright and archiving
policies

attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage
your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks.
Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be
monitored as permitted by UK legislation.