Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:29:52 -0500

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Klaus Graf
<klausgraf_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

      As I have shown
      at http://archiv.twoday.net/stories/5193609/ the Request
      button isn't legal in Germany.

(1) I regret to point out that -- like everyone else in this
discussion -- you have not shown, you have merely asserted.

      Your Request-button-ideology is based on pure
      arbitrariness.

(2) The Button is not ideology, it is concrete, implemented,
practical technology: click here

      If the author only has the mail adress of the requester
      and no university affiliation - what are the criteria to
      decide? Random?

(3) For screen shots showing how the eprint-requester can (as in all
reprint-request cards for over a half-century) indicate, if he
wishes, his institution and his reasons for the request, click here.

      Or simply NO - ...most scholars in my several tests
      have'nt reacted on my request button tests.

(4) Mr. Graf, I cannot explain why some of the authors from whom you
have requested eprints have declined to fulfill your eprint-request.

(5) The decision to send a reprint or eprint is a discretionary one,
on the part of the author, and that is exactly how it should be.

Stevan Harnad