Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:07:18 +0000

[This message was posted on JISC-REPOSITORIES and is reproduced here
on the request of the AMSCI moderator.]

On 15 Feb 2009, at 19:56, Charles Oppenheim wrote on the JISC-
REPOSITORIES mailing list:

> I agree that the publisher cannot demand destruction of copies made
> PRIOR to the assignment, but can rightly object to any subsequent
> copying by anyone, including the original author.

Charles' contributions to this discussion are stark, but make it clear
what the bottom line is in copyright law. If you have copyright, you
have the automatic right to make copies. If you don't have copyright,
you don't have the automatic right to make copies.