Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

From: C.Oppenheim_at_lboro.ac.uk <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:24:18 +0000

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Fair use/fair dealing allows an individual to make a copy for his/her
own private study/research (and in a few countries, also for
teaching);  it also gives the author permission to pass a copy of the
item on request to a colleague if that colleague requires it for
research or private study.  I never have argued otherwise.  However,
it does NOT give the person the right to put something up on a
repository, (in many countries) on a Virtual Learning Environment,
etc., without explicit permission from the copyright owner - assuming
that its copyright has been given away.

The law is an ass, but that doesn't give anyone the right to
deliberately flout it.  The same applies to motor cars, where just
because you are able to drive it at 120 miles per hour whilst high on
alcohol or drugs, because the technology allows you to, does not mean
it is legal.  I'd rather this list encouraged respect for the law,
argued for changes in the law, argued for sensible negotiations with
publishers rather than just ignoring the law.

And as for the law catching up?  If you mean, allowing users more
flexibility, I rather fear that is in your dreams!!  The pressure
from rights owners (not publishers, but film, music, software, etc.
industries) is to make copyright law even more in favour of them and
to make the penalties for infringement more severe.

  In any case, as Stevan repeatedly points out, this list is for
those interested in furthering the cause of OA and copyright is not
its main focus.  For that reason I do not propose to continue adding
words to this particular discussion.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Head