Re: Another Winning Article From OA's Chronicler and Conscience: Richard Poynder

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:46:01 -0400

 On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Leo Waaijers wrote:

      in order to mandate Green you must maintain the classical
      journals.

Since no one is talking about canceling journal subscriptions when
users still need access and access is not yet OA, the need to
"maintain the classical journals" is not even at issue.

There are only two issues:

      (1) Do we or don't we mandate self-archiving of published
      articles (to provide universal OA) today?

      (2) Do we or don't we pay for Gold OA today?

The answer to (1) is yes, and we'd better start hurrying, if we want
OA at all today.

The answer to (2) is yes, pay for Gold OA today if you have the spare
cash and nothing better to do with it, but first mandate Green OA
too, otherwise you are throwing away your money both foolishly and
needlessly.

      Green does not cost anything EXTRA. In a transition
      period... payments for Gold are an extra... Is it worth
      then to go through this costly transition period?...
      Yes... because... ultimate[ly] Gold... is cheaper but
      mainly because it is [OA].

Green OA is OA too, and mandating Green OA entails no costly
transition: On the contrary, once universal it will eventually force
cost-cutting, downsizing, and transition to Gold OA at a much lower
price.

      How to get from A to B? I think Green mandates are fine
      but insufficient. ... RoMEO may explain why Green
      mandates are taken up so slowly.

Sixty-three percent of journals already endorse immediate,
unembargoed, Green OA self-archiving. For the other 37% there is
immediate Closed Access deposit plus the Button, to provide immediate
"Almost OA " during any embargo.

So how does this explain that there are only 67/10000 Green OA
mandates and only about 15% of articles are being self-archived
spontaneously (unmandated)?

The answer is already clear, both from surveys and actual practice:

      The three main reasons researchers are not self-archiving
      spontaneously are (1) worries that it might be illegal,
      (2) worries that it might put acceptance by their
      preferred journal at risk, and (3) worries that it might
      take a lot of time. They need mandates from their
      institutions and funders not in order to coerce them to
      self-archive but in order to embolden them to
      self-archive, making it official policy that it is not
      only okay for them to self-archive, but that it is
      expected of them, and well worth the few minutes worth of
      extra keystrokes per paper.

So all that's needed is for the "slumbering giant " (the world's
10000 research universities and institutions) to wake up and mandate
Green OA. Harvard's newly optimized mandate model (upgraded to
include ID/OA without opt-out) shows the way.

      I think that all those who have the power to mandate
      Green access (funders, universities) should further
      non-proprietary peer review systems as well. These are
      systems that do not require the transfer of copyrights in
      exchange for publication.

But what does that mean -- apart from Harvard's newly optimized
mandate, with a rights-retention and immediate-OA clause from which
the author can opt out, but an immediate-deposit clause without
opt-out?

Journals are the "peer review systems" (indeed, essentially, that's
all they are): OA is not trying to re-invent journals, just to make
all peer-reviewed journal articles freely accessible online! We
already have more than enough peer-reviewed journals -- but far less
than enough access to their peer-reviewed articles.

      Gold journals are an example. Overlay journals are
      another - even cheaper - option (see e.g. John Houghton's
      report).

Gold journals will come. What we are talking about now is providing
OA, and Green OA mandates are both necessary and sufficient to
provide that. It is OA itself that is urgent, not Gold OA journals.
Green OA can be accelerated by universities and funders, through
Green OA mandates; Gold OA cannot be accelerated by universities and
funders -- except, again, through Green OA mandates!

"Overlay journals" is just a name for a useful (but rather trivial
and, here, irrelevant) online practice already being widely adopted
by existing journals ("Deposit your submitted draft here -- where
"here" can be Arxiv, as for the APS journals, or your own
Institutional Repository, or any other website where our referees and
editors can access it -- and we will peer review it there").

Another meaning of "overlay journals" is an untested (and I think
incoherent ) speculation about replacing peer review itself with an
open archiving system, with journals coming in and "tagging" deposits
with their imprimatur.

But what we need now, urgently, is OA itself -- to all peer-reviewed
journal articles, such as they are -- not alternatives to the
peer-reviewed journal system we already have. (We already have more
than enough journals -- but far less than enough access to their
articles.)

      Funders and universities should call for tenders for such
      systems.

Before funders and universities call for such tenders, could they
please just mandate Green OA first? All my nagging will stop then;
but until then, gold fever and overlay fervor is just distracting us
from the undone task at hand: providing OA today, and not at the heat
death of the universe, while we meanwhile gallop off in all other
directions but OA itself!