Re: On Throwing Money At Gold OA Without First Mandating Green OA, Again!

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:55:53 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Here we go again with a ruinous outlook on OA where Gold and Green
roads are seen as competing with each other in some crazy, absolute,
way. Interest for Gold is not "pre-emptive" of Green.

The obvious point, it looks to me, is that all these steps are useful
to move forward toward OA. That universities should seek to have
mandates is fine, of course; that they should seek ways to help their
researchers to publish in OA  is equally fine. In some universities,
the people in place do not see their way through a mandate but see
their way to helping authors publishing in OA; in other universities,
other people find their way to a mandate. The politics of a mandate
may appear far more difficult in one place, and less so in another.
Are we going to stay immobile wherever mandates are very hard to
secure, or cramped in a monotonous cry for the mandate despite the
local immobilism? Is it not possible, in the meanwhile, to seek other
ways to help OA? And is this not a bit more realistic than claim in a
strident voice that "universities should on no account... etc."

Jean-Claude Guédon