Re: Research in the open: How mandates work in practice

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:30:23 -0400

It is splendid that RSP/RIN are having a meeting on how funders' and
institutional Green Open Access Self-Archiving Mandates are working
in practice -- and I note that one of the speakers represents
UKPubMed Central, so we will indeed hear about at least one funder
mandate and one central repository.
But would it not be a good idea to hear from the UK's institutions,
about institutional (and departmental) OA mandates? The UK was the
first country in the world to adopt OA mandates, and it has the
largest number (both absolute and relative) of such mandate adoptions
-- both institutional (8) and funder (14) -- in the world. But none
of the 8 mandating institutions/departments so far seems to be
represented among the Key speakers on how mandates are working.

The world's universities and research institutions are the
"slumbering giant" of OA and OA mandates. They are the providers of
all of OA's target content: both funded and unfunded, across all
disciplines. Surely we should pay closest attention to those who have
successfully awakened the slumbering giant (locally) if we are to
draw useful conclusions on how OA mandates work in practice -- and
how to propagate that "best practice" globally. (Of the world's 76 OA
mandates, 54 are outside the UK: although we are clearly in the lead,
there may still be some extraterritorial lessons to be learned too!)

A word to the wise,

Your weary archivangelist