Re: The Accelerating Worldwide Adoption Rate for Green Open Access Self-Archiving Mandates

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_OZEMAIL.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:02:13 +1000

Richard

I think there is an interesting subtext here.

Institutions with mandates, since they are more aware of the issues,
often specify the ID/OA mandate and have a better knowledge of
copyright. Therefore one would suspect that at the present time they
would honour publisher embargoes and not show as OA documents that
they hold in the repository as restricted. They may or may not
implement the Request-a-copy button. One therefore has to be careful
in deciding what 60% compliance means. It may mean 100% compliance.
Does it mean that the remaining 40% were not deposited, or that most
were deposited but not made OA?

I note that some institutions in Australia have started using their
repositories to fulfil their obligations to the Australian Government
to report all research meeting refereeing criteria. This means that
all research articles will have their metadata in the repository
(otherwise the university loses funding big time), but not all will
have a document to back them up, whether restricted or OA.

As Stevan says, it is difficult to know how researcher-imposed
mandates will fare. Perhaps Heads of Faculties or Schools or
Departments or their administrators will encourage/follow-up. We will
see. I wish them well and hope someone monitors them.

Arthur