Refereed Postprints vs. Unrefereed Preprints: Obligate vs. Optional

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 06:53:37 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Universities should (1) mandate (require) that all refereed final
drafts (postprints) are to be deposited in their IRs immediately upon
acceptance for publication, and (2) strongly recommend that access to
the deposit should immediately be set as Open Access (OA) unless the
author has contractually agreed to an OA embargo, in which case
access to the deposit may be set as Closed Access for the duration of
the embargo.
On no account should a university mandate (require) that unrefereed
drafts (preprints) should be deposited or made OA. That option should
be left entirely to the author. (Preprint deposit and OA-setting
should of course be allowed; it simply must not be required.)

(Note, though, that sometimes there is confusion about what
"preprint" means: Some take it to refer to the author's final
refereed draft, as opposed to the publisher's PDF. In that case, of
course, the final draft should indeed be deposited.)

Stevan Harnad
American Scientist Open Access Forum
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml

Chaire de recherche du Canada Professor of Cognitive Science
Institut des sciences cognitives Electronics & Computer Science
Universite du Quebec a Montreal University of Southampton
Montreal, Quebec Highfield, Southampton
Canada  H3C 3P8 SO17 1BJ United Kingdom
http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/ http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/