Re: On Proportion and Strategy: OA, non-OA, Gold-OA, Paid-OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:27:55 -0400

> ... journals are accepted or excluded by the company that generates these
> impact factors... That is where elitism comes into play,

The 90/10 effect is there across individal articles too, and even
within-journals. So is the OA advantage. And soon it will be OA that
generates the metrics.

> Peer review, as a process, may claim to do quality filtering, but its true
> role is to allow a given document into the scientific or scholarly arena.

Now documents may enter into the "scientific or scholarly arena" by simply
being posted. But the peer-review standards and quality track record of the
journal in which they are published (if they are published at all) will
still be the most important predictor of the quality of the results
reported.

Stevan Harnad