Re: BioMed Central Press Release

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:08:30 -0400

On 24-Jun-09, at 7:53 AM, Armbruster, Chris wrote:

> Congratulations to the CIHR for a stringent OA policy.
>
> Now to the dispute and argument:
> - BMC says authors are *required*
> - Harnad quotes the CIHR as saying *required to make every effort*

That's CIHR's words, not mine. "Required" simpliciter would have been
rather more stringent...
> You could argue that the BMC interpretation is not fully covered by
> the CIHR policy...

You could do better than that; you could state straight out that it
misrepresents the CIHR policy, incorrectly saying it requires
publication with a Gold OA publisher (it does not) and merely
encourages Green OA deposit -- which is again false: It requires
("making every effort") either to publish Gold OA or to deposit Green
OA.
> but you could also argue that the attack on the BMC press release is
> intended to obscure that one research funder has clearly recognized
> the strategic value of the final published version becoming OA. That
> is why Option 1 is OA publishing, why every effort is to be made and
> why OA already on the publisher's website is favoured.

What is somewhat obscure is CIHR's "stringent" policy. This policy is
not an original, it is a copy of the NIH policy, with a few
improvements (but not enough):

(1) "required to make every effort" s not an improvement of
"require" (but it's very Canadian)

(2) Making Gold OA publication Option #1 is not an improvement but a
step backward, since there are far more Green publishers than Gold
publishers, and in fact a Green mandate covers all publishers.

(3) Requiring immediate deposit in the case of Option #2 (Green) is a
BIG improvement, but would have been an even bigger improvement as the
only requirement (not an option), for all papers, with Gold OA being
what is merely "encouraged."

(4) Not stipulating that the Green deposit must be in PubMed Central,
but may be in the grantee's institution's repository is a BIG
improvement, but would have been an even bigger improvement if
institutional deposit were the preferred option.

(5) It would also have been an improvement to stipulate that it is the
fundee (not the publisher) who must do the deposit.

(6) Both NIH and CIHR require that the deposit be the author's peer-
reviewed final draft except for the option of direct deposit of the
published version by the publisher. The published version is welcome,
and can be encouraged, but on no account should it be the required
option.

> IRs have failed to deliver content and services.

They have failed to deliver content because their have failed to
mandate deposit.

IRs are able to deliver many services, but not without content. And
the majority of user services will not be at the IR level but the
harvester level.
> Green OA is cumbersome and expensive to implement because of all the
> versioning control and other exercises necessary to assure that
> something approximating a trustworthy copy of the real publication
> is created.

I think this is all profoundly incorrect. Green OA has no problem of
expense: expenses are distributed across IRs, and minimal. There is no
version problem http://valrec.eprints.org/ ; just a content problem,
which is solved by Green OA mandates.
> For the sake of scientific communication and to increase the value
> of OA to scholars and the public alike, one would hope that all life
> science research funders follow CIHR in stipulating as preferred
> option publication in open access, backed by a large subject-based
> repository.

Let us hope not. Let us hope life science funders help wake the
"slumbering giant" (the institutions that are the universal providers
of all research, in all fields) by mandating institutional deposit of
the author's refereed final draft (the one with the fewest
restrictions on it) and leave subject-based services to harvesters.

That way we are more likely to get the content we are all waiting for,
at long last. http://bit.ly/xbhqd

Stevan Harnad