Re: Submission Fees (was: RE: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...)

From: Anthony Watkinson <anthony.watkinson_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:44:46 EDT

I am puzzled by this statement in Professor Harnad's reply below.
I quote:

"It is very likely that if and when universal Green Open Access
(as a result of universal mandates to self-archive the author's
final refereed drafts of all peer-reviewed journal articles
immediately upon acceptance for publication) causes subscriptions
to become unsustainable"

Yet this is the same Professor Harnad who suggests that
institutional repositories are intended to make available
refereed content for those who cannot afford access and not to
damage journals.

There are also others and maybe among his disciples who claim
that there is no evidence that self-archiving will harm journal
subscriptions because there is no evidence that this has
happened. There are also those who suggest to university
authorities that mandates are mainly to project the profile of
the university concerned.

What is the real aim of some parts of the IR movement? What is
Professor Harnad's main aim? Is it not to impose a universal Open
Access regime by stealth?

I think most publishers know what it is but does the academy?
Perhaps they should be told. Or am I guilty of what former
Professor Suber would call a misunderstanding my suggesting more
transparency here?

Anthony