Stealth Operations

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:38:13 -0400

On 16-Jul-09, at 6:06 PM, Anthony Watkinson wrote:

> I am happy with this transparency, Stevan, but I cannot help
> noticing the difference between the words "very likely" i.e
> succesful populating of institutional repositories will make the
> subscription model untenable and the words "might or might not"
> provided subsequently. OK - there is no proof but it is very
> likely. We seem to agree on this. I find it difficult to see how
> there could be a proof.
>
> The aim of the so-called Green approach is to achieve Open Access
> by stealth - is it not?

I am truly perplexed! What is stealthy about advocating, openly,
vociferously, that Green OA should be universally mandated by research
institutions and research funders? If skywriting that all over the
stratosphere is stealthy, then what on earth would be UNstealthy?

Or is this perhaps just the usual conflation of OA with Gold OA?

(In other words, are you implicitly assuming that what I am really
aiming for is a conversion to Gold OA publishing, rather than just
universal Green OA? Well, let me say -- again as openly as one is
empowered to be, given the available human media of expression -- let
me say, write, and skywrite, with hand on heart, that all I mean or
ever meant by OA is immediate free online access to all refereed
research articles, and that that's what Green OA and Green OA mandates
provide. I have no intrinsic interest whatsoever in journal
publishers' cost-recovery models and I try to refrain from speculating
about them as much as I can. I admit lapses now and again, but if no
one else mentions it, I never do.)

So I repeat: There is no evidence yet that Green OA has reduced
subscriptions, let alone made them unsustainable. If and when it does,
journals can downsize and convert to Gold OA, and institutions can pay out
of their windfall subscription cancellation savings. Meantime, full speed
ahead toward mandated universal Green OA.

What is the probability that universal Green OA will force a
transition to Gold OA? I happen to personally think it's high. But who
am I? I was convinced that the probability of universal Green OA --
spontaneous and unmandated -- was so high in 1994 that it would be
with us virtually overnight. Here we are, a decade and a half later,
in 2009, and Green OA is still only at about 15%, and only 39 of the
planet's 10,000 universities have mandated Green OA!

Now I would take that as strong evidence that my personal belief that
universal Green OA is likely to lead to Gold OA (let alone the time-
scale on which this will happen) is not to be taken too seriously...

Stevan

PS Anthony does have a point about what could be (mis)construed as my
"true agenda" based on the infamous 1994 "subversive proposal," in
which there was a definite lapse (but no stealth!). I should not have
said a single word about publishing there, just about self-archiving.
(I've since admitted this, in a 10-year retrospective "mea culpa.")
But the "subversion" I had in mind even in 1994 was not of the
publishing model, but of the access model. On publishing models, I
plead nolo contendere. The research community has far greener pastures
to harvest.
http://www.arl.org/sc/subversive/i-overture-the-subversive-proposal.shtml
http://bit.ly/12ywF1