Re: REMINDER! Deadline for Repository Issue of NRIN Journal is 31st July 2009

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:25:20 -0400

On 17-Jul-09, at 10:54 AM, Chris Rusbridge wrote:

> Les, is this an Open Access issue?

Chris, if I may:

(1) If by "issue" you mean whether repository infrastructures is an OA
issue, then the answer is of course: Yes.

(2) If by "issue" you mean whether this NRIN special issue is Gold OA (i.e,,
free online), then my question is: Why do you ask, and why should it be? OA
does not necessarily mean Gold OA.

(3) If by "issue" you mean whether this NRIN special issue is Green OA
(i.e., endorse authors making their own articles free online), then (apart
from agreeing that this is always desirable and welcome), I ask whether you
would have insisted that the only medium via which Alexander Graham Bell
should have promoted the nature and uses of his new invention was the
telephone? (One cannot always be preaching to the choir; the heathen need to
be addressed in their own tongues, and venues!)

But, as a repository architecture issue, I hope all IRs will be implementing
the "email eprint request" Button and the option of depositing an article in
Closed access rather than Open Access where judged necessary. The Button
will tide over the usage needs of research and researchers by providing
"Almost OA" during any embargo Closed Access embargo period. This
effectively moots consideration (3) above altogether.

Faut pas être plus royaliste que le roi...

Chrs,

Archduke Johannes