Re: "Authors Re-using Their Own Work"

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_OZEMAIL.COM.AU>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 14:43:45 +1000

May I confirm and endorse Marc Couture's very valid comments. The
Australian Copyright Act as amended up to date says as follows. Note
in particular clause (1) and clause (3). It really could not be much
more clearly stated! [My comments are in red and in square brackets.]

Indeed the Australian Act does not allow the copyright owner to
object to fair dealing of a journal  article on the grounds that it
might affect the potential market. The Request-a-copy button rests on
firm legal ground in the Antipodes.

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania

COPYRIGHT ACT 1968 - SECT 40

Fair dealing for purpose of research or study

             (1)  A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical
or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or
musical work, for the purpose of research or study does not
constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work.

[ahjs: 1A and 1B omitted, not relevant, deal with lecture notes.]

             (2)  For the purposes of this Act, the matters to which
regard shall be had, in determining whether a dealing with a
literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or with an adaptation of
a literary, dramatic or musical work, being a dealing by way of
reproducing the whole or a part of the work or adaptation,
constitutes a fair dealing with the work or adaptation for the
purpose of research or study include:

                     (a)  the purpose and character of the dealing;

                     (b)  the nature of the work or adaptation;

                     (c)  the possibility of obtaining the work or
adaptation within a reasonable time at an ordinary commercial price;

                     (d)  the effect of the dealing upon the
potential market for, or value of, the work or adaptation; and

                     (e)  in a case where part only of the work or
adaptation is reproduced--the amount and substantiality of the part
copied taken in relation to the whole work or adaptation.

             (3)  Despite subsection (2), a reproduction, for the
purpose of research or study, of all or part of a literary, dramatic
or musical work, or of an adaptation of such a work, contained in an
article in a periodical publication is taken to be a fair dealing
with the work or adaptation for the purpose of research or study.

             (4)  Subsection (3) does not apply if another article in
the publication is also reproduced for the purpose of different
research or a different course of study.

             (5)  Despite subsection (2), a reproduction, for the
purpose of research or study, of not more than a reasonable portion
of a work or adaptation that is described in an item of the table and
is not contained in an article in a periodical publication is taken
to be a fair dealing with the work or adaptation for the purpose of
research or study. For this purpose, reasonable portion means the
amount described in the item. [ahjs: this applies to non-article
works, for example books. The section goes on to describe reasonable
portion.]

[Sections 41-44F go on to describe other acts not constituting
copyright infringement, such as reproduction for reporting, satire,
etc.]