Press Release: Boloka goes global

From: Lossau, Norbert <lossau_at_SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:39:06 +0200

FYI - Apologies for cross postings

PRESS RELEASE  12 August 2009

---
Boloka, the Research Repository of the North-West University in South
Africa was  exposed to the global research community today in the
 DRIVER Research Infrastructure.
As the  first African repository to go global, this achievement
highlights the imminent launch of a new international repository
organisation supported by DRIVER - known as COAR   - the
Confederation of Open Access Repositories.  COAR aims  to promote
greater visibility and application of research outputs through global
networks of Open Access digital repositories.  The launch of COAR is
expected to take place during Open Access Week 2009,  at the DRIVER
Confederation Summit, to be held at the University of Ghent in
Belgium.
Boloka represents the growing interest in building a global
information infrastructure, and the ease with which Boloko was
validated and registered  into the DRIVER infrastructure speaks
highly of the interoperability standards achieved.   The contents of
Boloka - which in the Tswana language means to store, to keep safe,
or to preserve - can now be searched in conjunction with over 1
million other research papers harvested by DRIVER and made openly
accessible through Open Access institutional repositories.
The repository comprises  electronic theses,  an Open Access journal
(Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal) as well as the research output
of the University of the North West, and periodic  harvesting will
capture incremental growth.  As many OAI repositories contain
restricted content, DRIVER harvests only those repositories that
voluntarily register for prior validation and confirmation of data
quality.  To assist in improving data standards, and ultimately
ensuring the interoperability of data in global information spaces,
DRIVER provides support for repository managers in online Guidelines
for Content Providers.
Congratulations are due to repository manager, Louw Venter, and his
team at NWU .  Louw says: " This has been a tough road for us so far
having to figure out a lot of things on our own, so we are also very
proud of what we've achieved, in what I think is a relatively short
time. Initially I just used the Validation tool to see if our
repository is more or less on track and was reassured when the
results looked good, which gave me confidence to register."
Repository managers are invited to validate their own repository and
register with confidence in the knowledge that the research papers of
the local institution can enjoy international exposure to their
respective disciplines and subject communities.
To find out more, visit the Driver website: Register your Repository:
 http://validator.driver.research-infrastructures.eu/validatorWeb/
Dr D Peters
Scientific Technical Manager DRIVER II
State and University Library of Goettingen
peters_at_sub.uni-goettingen.de
Tel:  +49 551 39 5242
Fax: +49 551 39 5222
Mobile:+49 (0)160 989 67663
http://www.driver-repository.eu/
http://www.driver-support.eu/en/

Dr. Norbert Lossau
Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek/
Goettingen State and University Library, Germany
Direktor
lossau_at_sub.uni-goettingen.de
Tel. + 49 551 39-5212
Fax + 49 551 39-5222

attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage
your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks.
Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be
monitored as permitted by UK legislation.