Re: Parallel journals

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 16:11:24 -0400

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Arthur Smith <apsmith_at_aps.org> wrote:
> There is, it seems to me, an unacknowledged non-dysfunctional purpose
> served by journal issues that would be difficult to satisfy with any
> search interface: non-duplication...Though perhaps that's what you were
> implying by "the power of online boolean search", the need for tracking
> what has previously been looked at (whether read or not) needs to be acknowledged.

Yes, simple de-duping (and tracking) of hits is a lot more
parsimonious than generating a parallel journal! (Co-appearance in a
joint issue is also a detectable condition.)

What people keep envisioning as journals and issues is all down to tags now,
bespoke tags, and tags generated (and stored on the fly) by smart, customized
search engines.

If google or amazon or ebay can remember what you've shopped for in the past,
for you preference profile, surely so should a smart OA search service!

Stevan