Re: Please Comment on Pres. Obama's OSTP Mandate Proposal

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 06:30:39 -0500

On 12-Dec-09, at 7:01 AM, gregor_at_unisi.it wrote:

> Dear Stevan,
>
> I fully endorse your comments. My only concern regards the WHO
> DEPOSITS section: to ensure a primary deposit one needs servers,
> personnel and some infrastructure, which, in a situation as presently
> witnessed in the Italian public research institutions, may no longer be
> warranted due to drastic shortage of public funding. This means that,
> paradoxically, publicly funded (italian and european tax payers) research
> results might be obscured thru the obsessive policy of our Ministry. On
> the
> other hand, many publishers (unfortunatly not the dominating ones) are
> private but +- non-profit organizations. Allowing for the option that such
> publishers were in charge of the deposit might be the solution to a
> problem
> more than a risk to lose positions in open access.

Dear Miguel,

I understand and lament the public funding situation in Italy today -- but
the conclusion that therefor Italian funders should adopt mandates for which
compliance can be in the form of publishers doing the depositing in place
of fundees in no way follows from that unfortunate state of affairs!

-- (1) Less public funding does not mean that fundees cannot do the
keystrokes to deposit their own final drafts.

-- (2) If a fundee's institution does not yet have an institutional
repository, the fundee can deposit in DEPOT
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/646-guid.html (it has
plenty of room!
http://roar.eprints.org/?action=search&query=depot%2C+the&sa=Search ). DEPOT
was created specifically for that purposes and is now open to deposits from
researchers the world over whose institutions do not yet have repositories
of their own.
-- (3) Publishers are free to make their articles OA too, if they wish,
either on their own websites or by depositing them in an OA repository, but
that again does not mean that the author cannot or need not deposit in the
author's own institutional repository in such a case: on the contrary, it
facilitates author deposit.

A funder's OA mandate has to be systematic, scaling up to cover every case,
if it is to be successful. Exceptions, loopholes, and unconfirmable
compliance mean that mandates are not really mandates. And without mandates,
deposits do not take place beyond the 15% global baseline for spontaneous,
unmandated self-archiving:
http://fcms.its.utas.edu.au/scieng/comp/project.asp?lProjectId=1830

Mandating immediate deposit by the fundee covers every case. Instead
allowing or encouraging the option of deposit by some party other than the
fundee, at some other time, does not cover every case, delays deposit, and
makes it very difficult if not impossible to monitor whether and when there
has been compliance with the mandate (since the "compliance" might not be on
the part of the mandated fundee but an unmandated, unfunded 3rd party, and
at an indeterminate time).

And the locus-of-deposit is just as important, not only for monitoring
compliance with the funder mandate, but to facilitate and reinforce the
adoption of -- and compliance with -- the all-important complementary
mandates by institutions, the universal providers of research output, for
the deposit of the rest of their institutional research output, in all
disciplines, funded and unfunded.

Again, if funders allow institution-external (i.e., central repository)
deposit, this competes with, instead of converging with, institutional
mandates, by necessitating multiple deposits of the same paper
(institution-internally and institution-externally) for funded papers.
Authors rightly resist having to deposit a paper more than once. Relying on
publishers to do the deposit -- institution-externally or
institution-internally -- again simply increases the uncertainty about
whether, when and where a deposit mandate has been complied with.

As ever, DEPOT is available to serve as an interim repository for
institutions that do not yet have a repository. (But even with Italy's hard
times in public funding, it is difficult to image that an institution cannot
afford a 2000 euro server and the few hours sysad time it takes to set up
and maintain the repository. The software, after all, is free
http://www.eprints.org/ -- and Italy already has 28 institutional
repositories http://bit.ly/8G6TYF 15 EPrints and 11 DSpace, out of its
total of 50 registered repositories: http://bit.ly/63rB7j 26 Eprints and 15
DSpace)