Fwd: The Depot Open Access repository becomes international

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 06:36:34 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Theo Andrew <theo.andrew -- ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM
Subject: The Depot Open Access repository becomes international
To: JISC-REPOSITORIES_at_jiscmail.ac.uk

** Apologies for Cross-Posting **

To coincide with the start of Open Access week, EDINA (a JISC
UK-national academic data centre based at the University of Edinburgh)
is pleased to announce that the Depot has been opened up
internationally. Building upon its initial role given to it by JISC,
the Depot is now being opening up into a facility to support the Open
Access agenda internationally.

The Depot (www.depot.edina.ac.uk)is an assured gateway to make
research Open Access - we provide two main services:

1. a deposit service for researchers worldwide without an
institutional repository in which to deposit their papers, articles,
and book chapters (e-prints).

2. a re-direct service which alerts depositors to more appropriate
local services if they exist.

The first time a researcher visits the Depot we will automatically
check with OpenDOAR, the registry for open access repositories, to
find a more appropriate local repository. If none exists then the
author will be invited to deposit their research in the Depot. The
Depot is OAI-compliant allowing deposited e-prints to be 'harvested'
by search services, and other repositories, giving them instant global
visibility.

For the present you can find the Depot at
http://www.depot.edina.ac.uk/ but working with eIFL-OA we hope to
provide a more international URL to denote its new role.

Warm regards, Theo (on behalf of the Depot team)

Theo Andrew
Edinburgh University Library
& EDINA National Data Centre
Tel: 0131 651 3850 (Mon-Weds)