Re: Wrong Advice On Open Access: History Repeating Itself

From: Couture Marc <couture.marc_at_TELUQ.UQAM.CA>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:37:20 -0500

Stevan Harnad wrote :

> The one point I am not sure I quite understand in Marc's commentary
was "I put more efforts [into] green-OA
> because I see more immediate, if not overreaching, results in
gold-OA.

I was speaking on general terms: I see (but it may be highly
subjective) more progress on the general front of Gold OA with, for
instance, successes like PLoS, two journals appearing every day in
DOAJ, etc. Somewhat paradoxically, the feeling that this flavour
(colour?) of OA is indeed accelerating gives me the impetus to keep
on putting much energy in Green OA where, as far as the repository I
contributed to create is concerned, progress is slow, if not
illusory...

But I must admit that we see also interesting advances on the
Green-OA front, with mandates piling up, albeit at a modest pace.

By the way, I saw recently that at Université de Liège's, which
adopted a mandate, the repository ORBi went from 178 full-text
documents in July 2008 to... no less than 15 000 documents (mostly
articles) 15 months later (source: http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/stats).

Now that's some success...

Marc Couture