Re: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

From: Andy Powell <andy.powell_at_EDUSERV.ORG.UK>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:36:20 +0000

> From my experience, it is quite obvious in the metada page of the
> article when a full-text version is available for download (thus OA )
> or from the author on request (“closed access”).

Two thoughts...

Firstly, there is an implication here that people's route to the full-text is always via the 'metadata page'. That might well be how we've chosen to design the system but it isn't necessarily safe to assume that is how it always works ?

Secondly, your "experience" (I assume) is as someone who is familiar with and understands the notions of 'open access' and 'repositories'. I thought the point of this thread (and what you were arguing in your earlier message) is that in the wider general population of researchers there is still confusion about these things. Apologies if I misunderstood you.

So, while an OA button (embedded into both the metadata page and the full-text for maximum exposure) might not help you, it might help raise awareness of OA more generally?

I don't have an evidence to hand, but I don't think it would be an unreasonable assumption that the development of clear CC logos and buttons was a big help in raising awareness of what CC were trying to do ??

Andy

Andy Powell
Research Programme Director
Eduserv