Re: Wanted: introductory materials for faculty

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:58:38 -0500

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:04 AM, JQ Johnson <jqj_at_uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for a brief introduction to licensing
> that helps a typical professor understand those obscure deposit mandate
> terms like "paid up" or "nonexclusive", or for that matter 17 USC 205(e)
> as it applies to an OA deposit mandate?

I have a better recommendation! Forget about licensing and obscure
terms. Just mandate the keystrokes. http://bit.ly/7s4wwz No legal
expertise required:

"Deposit the final refereed draft in our Institutional Repository
immediately upon acceptance for publication. If the journal is among
the 63% that already endorse setting access to the deposit immediately
as Open Access -- see http://romeo.eprints.org/publishers.html -- set
access to the deposit immediately as Open Access. Otherwise, set
access to the deposit as Closed Access. (Users webwide will be able to
use the repository's semi-automatic "email eprint request" Button so
you can tide over research usage needs during any embargo with just
one extra keystroke per request:
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html "

All for just a few keystrokes per paper. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10688/

This is the ID/OA Mandate, and it's the optimal one. You can add more
conditions or options if you wish, but it's unnecessary, and downright
inadvisable if it slows reaching consensus on adoption and compliance:

Harnad, S. (2008) Waking OA’s “Slumbering Giant”: The University's
Mandate To Mandate Open Access. New Review of Information Networking
14(1): 51 - 68
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/17298/

"Which Green OA Mandate Is Optimal?"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/494-guid.html

"The Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access (ID/OA) Mandate: Rationale and Model"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html

"Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates: What? Where? When? Why? How?"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

"How To Integrate University and Funder Open Access Mandates"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/369-guid.html

"Upgrade Harvard's Opt-Out Copyright Retention Mandate: Add a
No-Opt-Out Deposit Clause"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/364-guid.html

Stevan Harnad