Univ of HK signs Open Choice agreement with Springer

From: David Palmer <dtpalmer_at_HKU.HK>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:02:35 +0800

PRESS RELEASE

University of Hong Kong signs Open Choice agreement
with Springer
Asian open access pilot project to run for one year

Hong Kong / Berlin / London, 22 February 2010
The University of Hong Kong Libraries and Springer have reached an agreement
which allows researchers at the affiliated institutions of The University of
Hong Kong (HKU) to publish their research in Springer journals using
Springer Open ChoiceTM. Springer's Open Choice program offers full and
immediate open access (free to the reader) for articles that are accepted
for publication after a process of rigorous peer-review. Accepted HKU
articles will appear as usual in Springer print journals, and will be
published electronically using open access on SpringerLink, PubMed Central,
and the HKU institutional repository, The HKU Scholars Hub. The pilot
project will run from March 2010 to March 2011.

Professor Paul Tam, Pro Vice Chancellor for Research, and Director of the
Knowledge Exchange Office at HKU, said: "The amount of cutting-edge
research done at The University of Hong Kong has increased dramatically. It
is important to also increase access to this research, and thereby secure
all the benefits that this research can bring to the public who funded it.
The Springer Open Choice is a good first step in that direction!"

Professor Jan van Aalst, Springer author at the Faculty of Education of The
University of Hong Kong added, "I usually choose a journal in which to
publish by the community it serves. However all other things being equal, I
prefer to publish in an open access journal. In this case, using Springer's
Open Choice, I found that my article was discovered much more quickly."

"Making HKU's research available to all interested parties in open access
format is a key goal of our Knowledge Exchange Initiative, which holds that
publicly-funded universities should return the results of their research to
the communities that funded them." added Professor Tam.

"Several researchers at HKU have already used Springer's Open Choice service
on their own. We are, however, very pleased that we gained such a key
academic institution to carry out this pilot project. We value very highly
the opportunity to further develop exciting new publishing models in close
cooperation with yet another respected institution," said Peter Hendriks,
President STM Global Publishing & Marketing at Springer.

Notes to editor:

About The University of Hong Kong

Founded in 1911, HKU is Hong Kong's oldest university, with a long heritage
of academic excellence and service to the community. Today, HKU is a
world-class comprehensive research-led university, with close to a hundred
of its faculty ranked by the Institute for Scientific Information as being
among the world's top 1% of scientists (http://www.hku.hk).

The HKU Scholars Hub is the institutional repository of HKU, begun in 2005.
It collects, preserves, and showcases the intellectual output of HKU, now
numbering over 25,000 items, with over 1 million downloads in 2009. The Hub
is a key vehicle to enable and measure HKU's Knowledge Exchange initiative.
(http://hub.hku.hk).

About Springer Science+Business Media

Springer Science+Business Media (www.springer.com) is a leading global
scientific publisher, delivering quality content through innovative
information products and services. The company is also a trusted provider
of local-language professional publications in Europe, especially in Germany
and the Netherlands. In the science, technology and medicine (STM) sector,
the group publishes around 2,000 journals and more than 6,500 new books a
year, as well as the largest STM eBook Collection worldwide. Springer has
operations in about 20 countries in Europe, the USA, and Asia, and more than
5,000 employees. In 2008, it generated annual sales of around EUR 880
million.

Contacts:

David Palmer | Scholarly Communications Coordinator | University Libraries
| The University of Hong Kong | +852 2859 7004 | dtpalmer_at_hku.hk

Eric Merkel-Sobotta | Springer Science+Business Media | +49 30 82 787 5431 |
eric.merkel-sobotta_at_springer.com