Re: May issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:36:45 -0400

First things first. Once Green OA self-archiving mandates are adopted
universally by institutions and funders, the planet will have Green OA
(to the refereed final drafts of articles accepted for publication),
at long last, to the enormous benefit of research, researchers, their
institutions, and the public that funds the research, in terms of
research uptake, usage, applications, impact and progress.

As long as subscriptions continue to pay for publication (the print
edition, the online edition, distribution, archiving, and
peer-review/copy-editing), there is no need for any further change.

If and when universal Green OA should eventually make institutional
subscriptions no longer sustainable (because users are satisfied with
the Green OA version, so their institutions cancel their
subscriptions), then publishers will cancel the print edition and
online edition, offload the distribution and archiving to the global
network of Green OA institutional repositories, and charge only for
the peer-review/copy-editing costs. The institutions can and will pay
for that, per paper refereed, out of a fraction of their annual
windfall subscription-cancellation savings.

But we are nowhere near that yet. Most of today's Gold OA fees are not
only much higher than they would be if users were all satisfied with
the Green OA version, but the money to pay for them is still mostly
tied up in journal subscriptions.

That's why all this pre-emptive speculation is irrelevant. The only
thing missing today is OA itself, and universal Green OA mandates will
provide it. After that, publishing will adapt as a matter of natural
course.

Stevan Harnad

Harnad, S. (2009) The PostGutenberg Open Access Journal. In: Cope, B.
& Phillips, A (Eds.) The Future of the Academic Journal. Chandos.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/15617/