Re: Reminder: Open-access funds Webcast registration deadline today

From: Dietrich Rordorf <rordorfd_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:51:06 +0200

Dear Stevan (if I may),

I think you got me wrong on some points. You were talking about Gold OA
Publishers. I replied about Gold OA Publishers. Do not get fuzzy on this
point.

> With <100% Green OA (authors' self-archived refereed final drafts):
> (1) most publishers still produce the print edition (with its costs),

What Gold OA Publisher still has a general printed editions? Most now
only offer print on demand...

> (2) all publishers still produce the online edition (with its costs),

Sure. We will always need an online edition. Who wants to read a crappy
PDF lost is some crappy repository??

> (3) the author's draft is merely a supplement, not the version-of-record,

Yes, and that 'version-of-record' will always cost the same. This is
what I was trying to tell you.

> (4) institutions are still paying sizeable journal subscription fees
> and

(we are still talking about Gold OA Publishers - there ain't no
subscriptions!)

> (5) because OA is <100%, they cannot cancel most journals.

(we are still talking about Gold OA Publishers - there ain't no
subscriptions!)

> With 100% Green OA -- if and when the author's OA version turns out to fulfill all users' needs:
> (5) institutions can cancel subscriptions (because all users can access the Green OA version),

(we are still talking about Gold OA Publishers - there ain't no
subscriptions!)

> (4) institutions can use a fraction of their annual windfall subscription cancellation savings to pay for the remaining costs of publishing, because

(we are still talking about Gold OA Publishers - there ain't no
subscriptions!)

> (3) the author's refereed draft will become the version-of-record, and publishers can cut costs by
> (2) cancelling the online edition (with its costs),

Yes, and everyone ends up reading the crappy PDF file. For instance, not
all scientists are native English speaker. Publishers also add value to
the version-of-record (a fact that Stevan has been ignoring for years).
Yes, Publishers really employ people that are working and crating value.

> (1) cancelling the print edition (with its costs)
> and

Same as first reply: What Gold OA Publisher still has a general printed
editions? Most now only offer print on demand...

> (0) cancelling all the current costs of access-provision (distribution) and archiving.

OA Publishers publish OA. There is no DRM.

> The only remaining cost will be peer review (plus perhaps some editing).

Sure. These are exactly the costs that an OA Publisher is facing today
and that he will face in future. This is why I was asking in which way
it will reduce costs for an OA Publisher to have the transition from
<100% Green OA to 100% Green OA.

Kind regards,
Dietrich Rordorf