Re: Reminder: Open-access funds Webcast registration deadline today

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 15:52:25 -0400

On 2010-05-04, at 12:42 PM, Dietrich Rordorf wrote:

>> SH:
>> but the costs of Gold OA will differ radically before and
>> after universal Green OA has been reached.
>
> DR:
> I wonder in what way the cost of Gold OA would differ? Publishing a
> journal now with <100% Green OA and publishing a journal in future
> when we reached 100% Green OA will generate exactly the same costs.

With <100% Green OA (authors' self-archived refereed final drafts):

(1) most publishers still produce the print edition (with its costs),
(2) all publishers still produce the online edition (with its costs),
(3) the author's draft is merely a supplement, not the version-of-record,
(4) institutions are still paying sizeable journal subscription fees
and
(5) because OA is <100%, they cannot cancel most journals.

With 100% Green OA -- if and when the author's OA version turns out to fulfill all users' needs:

(5) institutions can cancel subscriptions (because all users can access the Green OA version),
(4) institutions can use a fraction of their annual windfall subscription cancellation savings to pay for the remaining costs of publishing, because
(3) the author's refereed draft will become the version-of-record, and publishers can cut costs by
(2) cancelling the online edition (with its costs),
(1) cancelling the print edition (with its costs)
and
(0) cancelling all the current costs of access-provision (distribution) and archiving.

The only remaining cost will be peer review (plus perhaps some editing).

> DR:
> Salaries for editors will be the same, costs for office space will be
> the same, marketing costs will be the same, administrative costs will
> be the same, costs for a publishing infrastructure (servers, softwares,
> etc.) will be the same, etc.

The same as what? Certainly not the same as the current costs of (0) + (1) + (2).

As far as I know, no OA journal publisher today has these minimized costs, because no OA journal publisher is providing the service of peer review alone. They can't, because the rest cannot yet be offloaded onto the global network Green OA repositories, filled with 100% of authors' final draft.

And this, in turn, is because most universities and research institutions (the universal providers of OA's all those articles) have not yet mandated Green OA. (And worse, some of them are spending money on pre-emptive Gold OA instead of first mandating Green OA.)

In summary: The only way to induce downsizing and minimization of publishing costs is first to mandate universal Green OA.

> DR:
> By the way, do not forget to calculate the real and opportunity costs of
> Green OA. One should include the researchers salaries into the calcs for
> their time spent on filling out online forms to put a PDF online (some
> 10 minutes per PDf file?). Then also include the opportunity costs: the
> researcher will not be able to spend those 10 minutes on productive
> research.

Do you really think 10 extra minutes' worth of keystrokes per paper -- it's actually closer to 6, but never mind -- distributed over all the planet's researchers, outweighs any of this?

> DR:
> Gold OA Publishers are already managing to publish journals at 1/3 of
> the costs that traditional, subscription-based Publishers and societies
> do.

Unless they are providing only peer review, they have not yet minimized publishing costs.

> DR:
> I do not think it is appropriate to constantly discredit the OA
> Publishers' work.

I don't discredit it. I am just explaining why it is premature, while most journals (especially the top journals) are still non-OA, Gold OA is still overpriced, and what is urgently needed (and has been needed for some time) is 100% OA, which can be provided by mandating Green OA (at the cost of 6 minutes worth of keystrokes per paper, distributed across the the planet's researchers!).

If I am "discrediting" anything, it is the short-sightedness of universities that commit to spending scarce funds on Gold OA fees today without first mandating Green OA. (Once they mandate Green OA, they are welcome to do whatever they see fit with their spare cash; but paying for Gold OA without mandating Green OA is no credit to their strategic thinking...)

> DR:
> In fact what is ridiculous is to pay OA fees to
> a subscription-based Publisher, so that this one can charge twice - once
> the author and once the reader. May be universities should start to
> forbid these kind of payments.

You're right, but, as I understand it, COPE is currently coping with that problem by committing to paying publishing fees only to pure-Gold OA journals, not to hybrid-Gold ("open choice") journals of the kind you mention. That's fine, but it still leaves the real problem, which is that of institutions pre-emptively committing to pay for Gold OA without first mandating Green OA.

"OA or mOre-pAy?"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/234-guid.html

Stevan Harnad