Re: peer review costs

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 06:34:31 +0100

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Dr. Oliver Obst wrote:

> Dear Stevan,
>
>> because users are satisfied with the Green OA version, ...
>
> is there any evidence for that? I recently filled out a
> questionnaire from the Medical Library Association asking exactly
> this. We provide NEJM via Ovid as publishers' HTML and they're
> not even satisfied by that, so I answered: "No, they will only be
> satisfied by the journals formatted postprint PDF."

No evidence whatsoever -- and all existing evidence is to the contrary,
namely, that in the few fields (like high energy physics) where there is
already virtually 100% Green OA, there are no journal cancellations!

That is why every single time I have reluctantly speculated about the
contingencies I have carefully said IF AND WHEN users are satisfied with
the Green OA version only...

But the point that is being systematically missed by so many people --
OA advocates and opponents alike -- is that OA is not about -- or for --
journal publication costs or journal publication reform: It is about
research access, usage and impact.

And universal Green OA will solve that problem whether or not it reduces
publishing to peer review alone.

Stevan Harnad