Re: FWD: Please share your opinion on open access publishing

From: Ept <ept_at_BIOSTRAT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 10:52:46 +0100

What is very confusing about this call for feedback is the title.

I do not understand the phrase 'Open Access Publishing'. Open access is
about 'access'. It is not a publishing process. The title should refer to
'open access journals'. The use of the phrase 'OA publishing' reinforces the
idea that OA is about publishing and this is one reason why 'OA repositories'
are often left out of the equation. With the title provided it is unlikely
that anyone will think it is about OA repositories.

Those I respect in the OA world tell me I am being pedantic, but it is
little things like this that cause confusion to newcomers to the debate. I
make a plea that we stop using the phrase 'open access publishing' and use
'open access journals' or 'the publishing of open access journals' instead!

Barbara