Re: Ranking Web of Repositories: July 2010 Edition

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:59:05 +0100

On 8 Jul 2010, at 09:43, Isidro F. Aguillo wrote:

> Regarding the other comments we are going to correct those with mistakes but it is very difficult for us to realize that Virginia Tech University is "faking" its institutional repository with contents authored by external scholars.

This (and the HAL-based problems) are interpretive issues that bedevil services that analyse repositories.
If you assume that a repository is full of locally-authored research literature then you will find all sorts of counter-examples in one area or another. The "Rich Media" criterion goes some way to filtering out non-documents, but whether the items are "scholarly" or "local" or "equivalent to those in other repositories" is very difficult to ascertain.
--
Les Carr