Re: [BOAI] Re: OA policies and their "weight"

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:06:26 +0100

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Frederick Friend wrote:

> I am glad that Isabel Bernal has sent this message about the excellent OA
> developments in Spain. I was becoming concerned that comments on the MELIBEA
> service - whether justified or unjustified - were giving the impression that
> our Spanish colleagues are adopting a faulty approach to OA

(1) The (friendly) critique was of MELIBEA, not of CSIC or Spain.

(2) The critique was not of an approach to OA but of an approach to
evaluating approaches to OA.

(3) MELIBEA is a (potentially important) project of a CSIC lab (IATA)
that was presented at OR2010 http://accesoabierto.net/node/61

> (can any way of bringing OA be faulty?).

Yes it can (e.g., if it is unsuccessful, or needlessly less successful
than it could be).

> I have looked at both the Digital.CSIC and
> Revistas.CSIC sites, and I found them attractive and very easy to use (which
> unfortunately cannot be said about all repositories).

There are more attractive repositories and less attractive repositories.
Their appearance matters infinitely less than their success in capturing
their total target OA contents (which can only be determined by
comparing their annual deposits to their total annual target output).

OA contents are not searched and retrieved at the repository level, but
at the harvester level. Hence the attractiveness of an individual
repository, be it institutional or central, is of rather minor
importance.

(Neither the attractiveness nor even the deposit rate of the CSIC
repository is relevant to the point under discussion, which is about
how to go about evaluating institutional and funder OA policies, e.g.,
as MELIBEA is being designed to do.)

> The policies underpinning the dual approach make a lot of sense
> as national policies.

I am not sure what "dual approach" policy is the intended referent here,
or whose, but I assume it is (1) green OA self-archiving mandates and
(2) gold OA publishing payment commitments.

The latter (2) only makes sense after the former (1) has been adopted.

As Isabel Bernal indicates below, CSIC has not yet mandated green OA
(1).

None of this has anything to do with evaluating MELIBEA, the evaluator
of OA policies.

> OA supporters in every country have to encourage OA in whatever
> way suits their political and cultural environment, and it seems
> to me that this is what our Spanish colleagues are doing very effectively.

Until a country or funder or institution mandates green OA
self-archiving, it has not yet been effective in promoting or providing
OA.

the substantive is wondering about what might be the substantive issue
underlying this exchange with Fred, it is the usual one, about putting
the gold cart before the green horse.)

Stevan Harnad