Against Promoting Pre-Emptive Gold OA Payment Before Mandating Green OA Provision

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:41:33 -0400

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Velterop <velterop_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Might Stevan be implying that OA forums should not be promoting
> financial/commercial sustainability of OA? Is it OA he is for, or is it
> commercial activity he is against? Or is he a denialist when it comes to the
> contribution of commercial ventures to OA?

Jan does not seem to have noticed that I said Gold OA should not be
paid for or promoted *until/unless Green OA has been mandated.*

No, OA is not about promoting financial/commercial sustainability, it
is about providing OA.

And (Green) OA can be provided for free.

Publishers are (understandably) interested in promoting the
financial/commercial sustainability of their business.

But what is missing today is not the financial/commercial
sustainability of the publishing business. What is missing today is
OA.

And, to repeat, (Green) OA can be provided for free.

*If and when* Green OA has been universally mandated, and *if and
when* that in turn should prove to make the financial/commercial
sustainability of the publishing business a genuine practical problem,
rather than the hypothetical pseudo-problem it is now, then you can
count on my whole-hearted "affirmationism."

Till then, you can count on my denialism:

The promotion of pre-emptive Gold OA payment is an obstacle to
achieving universal OA.

After Green OA is universally mandated, it is not.

But Green OA is far from being universally mandated; whereas the hand
is already outstretched for pre-emptive Gold OA payment.

Pre-emptive paid Gold OA is an obstacle to achieving universal OA
until Green OA is universally mandated.

    Harnad, S. (2010) The Immediate Practical Implication of the
Houghton Report: Provide Green Open Access Now. Prometheus, 28 (1).
pp. 55-59. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/18514/

    Harnad, S. (2009) The PostGutenberg Open Access Journal. In: Cope,
B. & Phillips, A (Eds.) The Future of the Academic Journal. Chandos.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/15617/

    Harnad, S. (2007) The Green Road to Open Access: A Leveraged
Transition. In: Anna Gacs. The Culture of Periodicals from the
Perspective of the Electronic Age. L'Harmattan. 99-106.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/13309/

Stevan Harnad