Re: Springer and Helmholtz Association sign agreement for open access membership

From: Velterop <velterop_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:00:20 +0100

Like Hélène, I'm not so sure either about Heather's assertion that "one
of the major obstacles to green OA mandates has been publisher
opposition". For a start, in physics, deposition in the Arxiv preprint
server is customary, and publishers have by and large always seen that
as normal and acceptable (as they did with the paper preprint system
before Arxiv existed).

Is anyone on this list aware of credible research that shows how many
articles (in the last 5 years, say), outside physics and the Arxiv
preprint servers, have been made available with OA exclusively via
'green' archiving in respositories, and how many were made available
with OA directly ('gold') by the publishers (author-side paid or not)?
The 'gold' OA ones may of course also be available in repositories, but
shouldn't be counted for this purpose, as their OA status is not due to
them being 'green' OA. It is my hunch (to be verified or falsified) that
publishers (the 'gold' road) have actually done more to bring OA about
than repositories, even where mandated (the 'green' road).

For the avoidance of doubt, I include in 'gold' the OA articles that
were (krypto)subsidised and where the journal in which they were
published levied no author-side charges.

Jan Velterop