Re: Repository effectiveness

From: <bjork_at_HANKEN.FI>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:09:03 +0300

Dear Stevan,

Could you post this to the list

Bo-Christer

Dear all,

Two points about this discussion.

Firstly I have recently uploaded my central 30 articles to our
(D-Hanken) repository, In what I would consider best practice
fashion. You can check the results at
http://www.hanken.fi/staff/bjork/. This took me about one week’s
workload in all including finding the proper files, reformatting the
personal versions, checking the copyright issTitle: User acceptance of
information technology: Toward a unified view Journal: MIS QUART, 27
(3): 425-478 SEP 2003 Citations: 382 Authors: Venkatesh, V;Morris,
MG;Davis, GB;Davis, FDues etc. The actual task of uploading, once I
had everything ready, took perhaps the six minutes suggested, but all
in my experience around an hour would be more appropriate. We are
helping out some other key researchers at my school to upload and
there are many non-trivial task. For instance researchers in Finance
whose ”personal versions” consist of text files and several tables
which are provided to the publishers as sheets in excel files. There
may be several hours of work to format a decent personal version of
such a papers. Since some of best authors are very busy (dean and vice
dean of the school) this has to be done by admin staff.

Secondly the situation reseachers face in making the decision to
upload a green copy resembles the situation faced by any individual
deciding whether or not to take into use a new IT system. There is a
large body of literature on this in Information Systems (my field)
research and the UTAUT model :

User acceptance of information technology: Toward a unified view
Journal: MIS QUART, 27 (3): 425-478 SEP 2003 Citations: 382 Authors:
Venkatesh, V;Morris, MG;Davis, GB;Davis, FD

Is the standard refernce (2800+ references in Google Scholar)

A variation on this is the model by Gallivan:

Organizational adoption and assimilation of complex technological
innovations: development and application of a new framework
MJ Gallivan - ACM Sigmis Database, 2001 - portal.acm.org

I would suggest that using a model like these to model how rational
scholars behave could be could quite fruitful, rather than staring
from scratch. Uploading green copies to a repository may not be so
different from starting a profile and uploading stuff to Face Book or
other similar voluntary IT acts we have to decide on. A mandate
lacking police actions such as lower pay etc makes the uploading in
reality voluntary and hence the above models still apply.

Bo-Christer Björk