Re: Repository effectiveness

From: Gale Moore <gale.moore4_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:17:38 -0400

I have been following this discussion with interest. I agree with much of what
has been said. I appreciate the UCD efforts that have often been made and at the
same time I appreciate the frustration of those trying to use their local
repository.

As a sociologist who has been a member of multidisciplinary human-centred design
research teams for many years, I see this as a problem that is not only
technical. In my own case when I first tried to enter one of my publications in
our local repository I found it cumbersome and time-consuming. I wondered why
and repeated the exercise with an expert by my side while running Camtasia -
screen capture software. The results showed that the major problems in this case
were social not technical. These included, finding the repository link on the
library home page, gaining access (which at that time required approval); using
language unfamiliar to some scholars, e.g, metadata when all that was required
were the familar elements of a citation. The greatest frustration was that it
was only toward the end of this process that I was asked if I had the rights to
post the article.The latter is a complex issue as we all know, and if uncertain
about the rights, the first choice is likely to 'bail' at that point -- and
probably never to return! So while I think there can always be improvements to
the code and to the UI, we also need to think about ways of improving the
experience by providing advance (brief) information on what will be required.
For example, suggest faculty don't start the process if they are not clear on
the copyright ownership of the piece. Or provide a short video on the steps
required.  With subsequent publications, selected to be those for which I knew I
had ownership, the process was very straightforward and extremley fast.

I expect there are other examples of how the first experience/impression could
be improved. I highly recommend taking a future contributor through the process
with the camera running... this simple thinking aloud protocol will not only
reveal the issues, but is engaging and often very funny. And best of all, a
number of the issues may be easily addressed.

Gale Moore, PhD
Senior Fellow & former Director, KMDI (2003-2008)
Member, Graduate Faculty, Dept. of Sociology
Member, Tri-campus Working Group on Scholarly Communication
University of Toronto

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Tomasz Neugebauer