Re: Role of arXiv

From: Andrew A. Adams <aaa_at_meiji.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:46:54 +0800

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Joseph Esposito wrote (in liblicense):
> > Considering the centrality of arXiv to the physics community, it
> > is difficult to imagine that it would ever disappear (or that
> > anyone would want it to).
Stevan Harnad replied:
> No one wants Arxiv to disappear, but I'll bet that within a decade
> Arxiv will just be an automated harvester of deposits from authors' own
> institutional repositories, not a locus of direct, institution-external
> deposit. In the age of Institutional Repositories, it is no longer
> necessary -- nor does it make sense -- for authors to self-archive
> institution-externally. It is also a needless central expense to manage
> deposit centrally. It makes much more sense to deposit institutionally
> and harvest centrally.

If it's not in there already, I would expect the SWORD protocol to allow
authors to include their login details for central repositories in an
encrypted element within the IR, and for a check-box during the deposit
process to do a push from the IR to the central archive.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa_at_meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and