Re: [SIGMETRICS] Davis study still lacks self-selection control group (and the sample is still small)

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:25:00 +0000

Adminstrative info for SIGMETRICS (for example unsubscribe):
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:52 PM,
Ludo Waltman <ludo_at_ludowaltman.nl> wrote:
      LW:

      Phil Davis has published interesting results on the question whether
      open access leads to a citation advantage. In my view, Stevan
      Harnad's criticism of Phil misses the point...

      In my view, Phil has convincingly shown that, at least for the
      journals and the time intervals he studied, there is no meaningful
      OA citation advantage.

I don't understand Ludo Waltman's point, since this is exactly what I said:

      SH:

      Phil Davis's dissertation results are welcome and interesting, and
      include some good theoretical insights, but insofar as the OA
      Citation Advantage is concerned, the empirical findings turn out to
      be just a failure to replicate the OA Citation Advantage in that
      particular sample and time-span... it is most definitely not a
      demonstration that the OA Advantage is an artifact of
      self-selection, since there is no control group demonstrating the
      presence of the citation advantage with self-selected OA and the
      absence of the citation advantage with randomized OA across the same
      sample and time-span: There is simply the failure to detect any
      citation advantage at all.

Stevan Harnad