Somesthesia and Suggestion

From: Droy, Robert (DROY92@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 24 1995 - 15:25:22 GMT

I feel this is not really relevant but this phenomenon of not thinking
one is feeling something when they are seems to have parallels with my
own experience.

The doctors tell me my disability means that I shouldn't feel anything
as I supposedly have no nerve endings. However, as I type this message,
I believe I can feel the keys. Doctors believe that I only think I feel
the keys because I can hear the sound of the keys being depressed.

If you follow this argument, does this mean I am imagining the feelings
that I believe I am experiencing. When I walk, I do tread heavily on
the floor, in order to gain auditory feedback. I seem to have developed
a number of strategies like that over the years, but they seem to
develop automatically without me actually thinking through the benefits
of each strategy.

To link this back to hypnosis, if I can unknowingly fool myself that I
experience these 'feelings' when I don't, does this mean I am a highly
suggestible individual.

Any comments welcome

p.s. How do I know what I call 'feelings' is what most people call
'feelings'? But that's more philosophy than psychology.