Re: Psychotherapy

From: Roberts, Craig (CRAIG92@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 27 1995 - 14:58:08 GMT

Just a quick point in support of Richard's scepticism. Karl Popper
used to share a flat with the famous psychologist Adler, as you can
imagine they had many interesting discussions (although not on
computers!) As you probably know Adler "discovered" the inferiority
complex, and he attributed much of human behaviour to this
phenomenon. For example, he noted that many famous composers were
deaf (or going deaf) many painters blind etc (see Mozart) anyway you
get my drift....? My long-winded point is that Adler's theory was
very hard to refute. Popper used to spend hours trying to think of
examples to counter Adler's theory, however, Adler always had an
answer. It was then that Popper realised the problem...and
subsequently his own fame. He had discovered what he believed to be
the distinguishing mark which divided Scientific Theories from
theories like Adler's. Whatever Popper said to Adler, he could fit it
to his theory, it was therefore impossible to test. Furthermore, how
do you decide whether Astrology, Religion, Politics, or psychology
(go on shout at me!) is the correct theory.