Re: Evolution and Sexuality

From: Young, Mark (MYOUNG92@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 10 1995 - 10:04:54 GMT

Louise said:

> You said in the
> lecture that all males will experience some sort of arousal when
> watching a sex video. That's a fair enough comment. But surely the
> average normal male will not be aroused by the sight of a
> pre-pubescent girl, or boy, for that matter. I seriously doubt that
> a normal male would have lustful ideas going through his head when
> thinking about a small child. On the contrary, a sex offender will
> find this extremely erotic. So where does one draw the line between
> being healthily aroused by porn , and being perverted? And why is it
> that some men act on their fantasies and others don't?

I'm not too sure on this line between healthy arousal and perversion
- I'm inclined to go with Stevan on the reason though. That is, (and
correct me if I've misunderstood this), a proximal cause has been
mutated such that it has become in some way separated from the
distal. I think that's sort of like the superstimulus Stevan wrote
about (is it?).

[SH: "mutated" is not quite the right word, but yes, this is about
right.]

However, I'm really here to talk about the reason some men act on
their fantasies. I had a flash - sorry, thought - in the lecture
when it turned to sociopathy. True, thieving and murder might seem
to benefit the sociopath in the short term, but in the EEA - close
knit groups consisting mainly of an extended famliy - surely the
notion of inclusive fitness would preclude such behaviour? What I
mean is, killing your relatives gives you less of a chance of your
genes being passed on. Maybe this is an extreme viewpoint, but then
the sociopath suffers (?) much the same mutation (perhaps misfiring
is a better term here) of cues as the rapist.

Can't back this up, I'm afraid; like I said it was just a thought
during the lecture. Having made the innuendo above, would these
arguments also apply to the flasher? Where does he derive his
pleasure? Thoughts appreciated. Mark.