Sample Exam Questions

From: Harnad, Stevan (harnad@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 29 1995 - 15:46:48 BST

> From: "Armstrong-Hart, Sarah-Jane" <SHARM92@psy.soton.ac.uk>
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 10:37:16 GMT
>
> Would you make up a current debates sample exam paper for us, as this
> is a new course and so there aren't any examples from previous years in
> the library?. Thanks! S-J

Sure. Here are 10 very like the 10 on the exam (but differing in
specific content or focus). You'll be asked to reply to any 2. These
will also be posted on the Year 3 Notice Board. Feel free to Skywrite
about any of them to get the thoughts flowing. I will reply.

Remember, the trick is:

    (a) Give a balanced survey of the diverse viewpoints you've
    surveyed in the relevant readings for each question; don't just to
    survey your own opinions on the subject (though they should be
    expressed too).

    (b) Don't write with the idea that the goal is to prove to someone
    who knows a lot more about it than you do that you have made your
    eyeballs travel repeatedly over the right pages, taking in the
    right words! Rather, write as if for someone who has NOT read and
    mastered all the material that you have read and mastered, but who
    is intensely interested: your goal is to convey to THAT PERSON in a
    clear, simple, understandable way, the many interesting things you
    have learnt on the topic. (I usually suggest thinking of the person
    as a younger sibling: bright, motivated, but easily bored if you
    start sounding like you are reading from your notes, or if you
    yourself are not sure of what you are saying, but merely giving
    proof of having covered the territory.)

1. Discuss the methodological criticisms that have been made of some of
the nonstandard domains of Psychology discussed in Module 1
(parapsychology, hypnosis). Are they fair, or are they asking too much
(or too little)? Give a balanced survey of all sides of the debate.

2. Discuss the role of interpretation and expectancy in the evaluation
of psychological outcomes. What is the hermeneutic circle, and is there
any way out of it? Don't reply with only your own opinions on the
subject; do a balanced survey of the relevant readings that were
assigned (about psychotherapy, experimenter expectancy, publishability,
etc.).

3. What is the difference between the environment of evolutionary
adaptedness and the modern environment? Discuss sex differences and the
evolution of sexuality in this light. Give a balanced analysis of the
differences in view that exist in this area.

4. What is the difference between sociobiology and behavior genetics,
and what is the relationship between them? What criticisms apply to
both, and what criticisms apply only to one or the other? Survey the
views in the readings rather than just giving your own.

5. Discuss how the concept of the "selfish gene". Why is altruism a
special problem for sociobiology? How does sociobiology handle it, and
how adequately? Survey the views in the pertinent readings.

6. What is the problem with the concept of group selection? Is it only a
problem for "pop" sociobiology, or are there deeper issues. Survey the
viewpoints expressed in the readings.

7. Describe and discuss the pros and cons of the research on any two of
the following: (1) Black-White Intelligence Differences, (2)
Electroshock Therapy, (3) Animal Experimentation, (4) Genetic
Criminality. Ground your survey in the assigned readings you have done.

8. How would psychology be done differently if we were all Zombies who
behaved exactly as we do now, but in reality were not conscious? Focus
on objective, experimental matters, as discussed in your readings on
blinsight, implicit learning, and unconscious processing.

9. Is it possible to measure consciousness by studying the brain, or are
there questions about consciousness that not even brain measures can answer?
Illustrate with specific examples from the assigned readings.

10. What is the "Other Minds" problem? How does it differ when the other
minds are adults, children, animals, and machines? Use examples from the
pertinent readings.