Re: Pink Elephants

From: HARNAD Stevan (harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 06 1996 - 16:42:56 GMT

From: "Herheim Aaste" <AH595@psy.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:21:31 GMT

  md> The big question is: do you need to be thinking about something in
  md> order to say it? And do you need to be thinking about X in order to
  md> say that you are thinking about X? DYE Matt

ha> It seems difficult to say something or say that I am thinking (or not
ha> thinking) about something without actually thinking about it.. But
ha> what about " every-day" conversation when we participate in a flow of
ha> relatively unimportant information-sharing..: "I'm cold", "Pass the
ha> butter,please.." etc. Is it possible to talk about something you are
ha> not really thinking about in between this chatting? Herheim Aaste

It is possible to get by in everyday life without worrying about the
mind/body problem or the other-minds problem. Folk psychology will get
you by, just as folk physics does. But when it comes to law-courts, or
the court of scientific inquiry, you've got to do better than hearsay.