Re: Theory of Mind

From: Dunsdon, Graham (ged196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 28 1997 - 13:44:01 GMT

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:51:59 +0000 Sharon Holmes wrote:

> From: Sharon Holmes <shh@isvr.soton.ac.uk>
> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:51:59 +0000
> Subject: Re: Theory of Mind
> To: PY 104 class discussion list <py104@psy.soton.ac.uk>
>
> > SO this means that adults are just selfish, whereas,
> > children and autistics are really egocentric? Sandra
> >
> Yes, - would you agree that 'selfish' adults are 'aware' of their
> actions - by this, I mean they can see the other person's view point,
> but choose to ignore it in favour of their own desires? For example,
> some criminals may choose to ignore their victim's suffering. Young
> children and autistics do not have this awareness.
> Sharon

Surely the subject was the theory of mind - that all normal people
above a given age have the ability to attribute intentions/beliefs to
others actions. Whether it is done selfishly or not,surely if a person
has the capability this supports the theory of mind? Egocentricity is
then a 'red herring'? Graham.