Re: The Frame Problem

From: Minnett-Westwood, Della (dtfmw196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 06 1997 - 14:38:54 GMT

Further to my previous message which was accidentally sent before I had
finished it:- In essence, the Frame problem limits the symbolic
computer. The organisation of my "mind" and the connections within it
enable me to deduce, to infer, and to associate. Does this mean that I
have solved the Frame problem, or simply bypassed it? When I am faced
with an unknown situation, I do not - cannot - simply "crash" like a
computer (although sometimes it feels like that!). Something akin to a
survival mechanism kicks in, and I scan all available past experience
and knowledge for a solution. If this fails, I would ask for help - I
guess this means that I have effectively "crashed" as an individual.
We have overcome the Frame problem, and I am sure that given
the right pre-programming, symbolic computers could do the
same.
Comments/criticism would really be appreciated. Cheers! Della
(who has expanded her "frame" to accomodate cogsci
(Re:Missing the Point) and is currently trying to
cognitively penetrate it!!)