Re: Introspection and Explanation

From: Taylor, Karl (krt196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 28 1997 - 18:25:04 BST

> (4) Introspection is not the way to explain the mind
because:

> A. It is private
> B. It does not exist
> C. It doesn't explain anything
> D. *A and C
> E. B and C

Why is something that is private no explanation? I thought
it was just C.

If introspection did explain anything but was private (ie.
I, but only I, COULD really observe what was going on in my
mind) then surely that would be an explanation of how my
mind works, at least (which would be more than we know now,
right?).

I think A. would only be no explanation if 1) I couldn't
tell you, or 2) it was different from person to person (not
private really, but individual ie. I could tell you but you
might not understand).

If I could talk I'd tell you. And I would guess that most
people's minds work pretty much the same way (at least,
that's my experience so far).

Has it got something to do with the Other Minds problem?