Re: Chapter 9: Pragmatics and Communication

From: Gill, Lynn (lg396@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 10:01:04 BST

After re-reading Chapters 8 and 9 I am left wondering where
"gossip" fits into the picture. As far as I can tell it
fails Grice"s "maxims" of Quality and Relation, but it also
fails Sperber and Wilson"s Theory of Relevance, surely one
of the defining features of gossip is its
irrelevance/unimportance. I can see that this is linked
with the issue of "importance", which we were asked to
consider before, it seems to me that these theories haven"t
explained EVERYTHING about human communication.