Re: Chapter 8: Meaning

From: Anonymous (anonpy104@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 25 1997 - 16:39:53 BST

these problems may be really stupid and i may just be
confused over nothing at all but it would still be nice if
someone could clear them up for me.

1) P 220 the idea that words stand as one to one relations
(Fodor et al).
e.g. 'has anyone seen the tray?' would be translated into
the token SEE (ANYONE TRAY).
This idea is dismissed because no contact is provided with
the world (is this the symbol grounding problem?) and the
tokens do not specify specific referents. I thought that
context effects would take care of of this.
Am I mistaken, confused or merely stupid?

2) We construct mental models of situations based on
propositions, and compare these models to what is actually
happening.
e.g. the circle is to the right of the star.
on P 222 it says that 'an infinite number of models cannot
be constructed'. This would seem to be related to the frame
problem. But, I think that we can construct an infinite
number of models and test them against situations and
propositions.
e.g. the circle is to the left of the star.
     the orange circle is to the left of the star, the blue
one to the right.
     the orange circle is four from the left of the blue
triangle which is below the green star.
etc etc etc
If we were unable to construct an infinite number of mental
models we would not be able to test the infinite number of
possible propositions that are waiting to be produced.

an explaination would be v. nice