Re: Descartes and the Mind

From: Lucas, Melody (MFL93PY@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 19 1995 - 16:37:48 BST

Can we doubt other people's experiences? If we can, then surely that
annuls any possibility of psychological study. The thing is, we've got
to assume some things are true, or at least possible,if we want to
tackle the problems which arose during the seminar. If we manage to
measure experience, surely we are using tools to do so (which we can
doubt). Fair enough, we can doubt everything except experience and
mathematics but the argument appears so exhaustive that we end up with
very little to work with.

As for the mind/body dualism argument; dunno! For years I've been
hoping that everything that goes on in that (what I've always seen as)
annoyingly abstract concept of 'mind' will finally be traced back to
electrical impulses. If only things were that simple! I reckon
comparative psychology could help us with this one.