Welcome to the home of the Physical Sciences (Chemistry, ECS, ORC & Physics) FEPS 3 Minute Thesis competition.
Due to COVID-19 we have moved the Physical Sciences heat online and asked the competitors to produce 3 minute videos of their thesis which you can find below.
As in previous years we have 3 competition prizes: one for the champion (who will go on to the University competition), one for the runner up and one the People's Choice winner.
We need your help to select the People's Choice champion. Click the button below to go to the voting form and vote for your favorite talk. The person with the most votes will be awarded the People's choice award. Voting closes at 5PM on Wednesday 20th May 2020.
We've slightly adapted the rules of the competition to meet the requirement for the presentations to be in the form of videos as follows:
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- A single static slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description).
- The video must have only one camera angle filmed from a static position. Zoom in and out from the static position is acceptable.
- Both the slide and the presenter and should be visible continuously.
- The 3 minute audio must be continuous – no edits, breaks etc.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment, animated backgrounds) are permitted.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech (timing does not include the student's title slide).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted within the video recording.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Our panel of judges consists of:
- Dr Peter Horak
- Dr Reena Pau
- Dr Christine Evers
- Dr Jo Grundy
- Dr Matthias Baud
- Professor Adam Prügel-Bennett