Re: FOS Newsletter Excerpts

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang_at_INRIA.FR>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:25:16 +0200

I support this request.

Please answer the questions.

   Bernard Lang

PS
   I noticed that many people on this list seem genuinely afraid of
hurting the feelings of publishers. Stevan gave me that impression in
our latest exchange, to which I stopped replying because I had the
impression that his eagerness to defend publishers (in the classical
sense) was hiding facts I did not know about.
  So there was really no point in arguing.

It is funny. People seem a lot less worried when workers are laid off
than when a large corporations are pushed out because the have become
economic dinosaures. Why be so concerned with the feelings of
corporations, they have none.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:26:31AM +0100, Alan Story wrote:
> Michael:
>
> Instead of using emotive words like "shame" and "cynical", perhaps you might
> address the issues I have raised:
>
> a) who is actually doing the giving?
> b) the "free now, charge later" philosophy behind this scheme.
> c) use of non proprietary/open source software for accessing the materials
> d) financial assistance for academic contributors from countries of the
> South.
>
> To use your own emotive, I just don't see the "sacrifice" involved.
>
> Regards
> Alan
>
> Alan Story
> Kent Law School
> University of Kent
> Canterbury Kent U.K
> CT2 7NS.
> a.c.story_at_ukc.ac.uk

         Non aux Brevets Logiciels - No to Software Patents
           SIGNEZ http://petition.eurolinux.org/ SIGN

Bernard.Lang_at_inria.fr ,_ /\o \o/ Tel +33 1 3963 5644
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Fax +33 1 3963 5469
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX